Every time when you expect a start from your car, you completely depend on your car’s battery charging system. For the best performance of every electrical car part, the battery gives enough power to the parts. But for the power production process, there is a dedicated assembly in the car that produces the power to run radio, lights, or other electrical components. The service battery charging system in your chevy includes the alternator, wiring, battery, and ECU (electronic control unit). It works when your engine is running to keep the parts working properly. But when something goes wrong the system warning light comes on the dashboard. It will only go off when a user will fix the battery charging system.
Let’s know the exact definition of the system, when the light comes on, and how you can fix it.
What Is the Service Battery Charging System?
The voltage regulator, wiring, battery, alternator, and PCM make up the charging system in a nutshell (Power Control module). The battery is the source of electrical energy, and its main job is to turn the key to start the car. The alternator is in charge of recharging the battery and supplying electricity for the running of the car’s accessories. Depending on the situation, the PCM regulates the alternator’s output of electrical power. It also manages the battery’s charging cycle. Last but not least, the wiring connects all of these, like the nervous system, and is an essential component if there is to be no breakdown.
So, the service battery charging system is installed in a car to give power to the needy electrical components. It has a couple of parts included in it. They all do their part of the job well. .and that is why this system is a crucial part of your car’s push-start.
Charging System Warning Light: What Is It, And When Does It Shows?
In simple words, as we all can already understand that this light must be related to the charging system. When you see this kind of warning light is there on your dashboard, that means you should take care of that right away and restore it to good condition again. A charging system warning light simply indicates that there is something wrong with the battery charging assembly. It can be due to a faulty alternator and any loose wiring connection or the ECU.
It generally lits up in yellow or red color. You can ignore this light for a moment, and your car can also run well. But that’s only for a moment. If a user is running with a faulty alternator, the battery will stop, and it won’t start again. But there is some of the most common reason that plays a vital role in the fault drama.
- Weak battery: if the battery of your car is not working properly, the other components will not get enough power to perform well.
- Defective alternator: With a defective alternator, the engine will not start.
- Faulty connection wiring: if there is any leak or any loose connection in the wiring assembly, the electricity will get lost, and the car will not perform up to the mark.
- Failing PCM regulators: the alternator-produced energy is supposed to regulate before going to any part. The PCM is responsible for voltage regulation. With a failed regulator, the charging system can create an issue. As a symptom, the check engine light can come up on the dashboard.
- Broken drive belt: The alternator gets connected to the engine via a drive belt. If that drive belt breaks, the whole system will not perform well.
How To Fix the Service Battery Charging System?
If there is a problem, there must be a solution. You can normally end up going to a professional mechanic if there is any issue with your charging system. Or you can follow these tips to avoid this problem:
- Replace the battery if it is not in good condition or not giving enough power.
- A user can also maintain the battery if the battery is going to enter into a critical situation.
- Inspect the wiring assembly very carefully so that you can find if there is any leak or lost connection.
- Sometimes, some electrical car part gets clogged with dust and debris. So, you can clean the part to get a better performance.
- The alternator depends on the drive belt. If there is any issue, also check the drive belt.
- A damaged alternator can create an issue with the charging system. Replace the alternator right away if that is damaged.
Service Battery Charging System – FAQs
Your service battery charging system includes the alternator, battery, wiring, and ECU. all these systems work together to make the battery charging system function.
Yes, you can drive your vehicle with a charging system warning light, but you should not. As it can cause severe damage to the car and make you pay a bigger bill.
It completely depends on the problem type. But on average, the cost of fixing a charging system for a car is around $1000-$1500. Part costs can vary from brand to brand, and additional labor charges will get added to the bill.
➢Bad connection to the regulator.
➢The warning bulbs on your dashboard may misbehave.